At least one protester was reported killed and several others were wounded in Iran as the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) on Wednesday opened fire on angry locals in villages around the south-western town of Susangerd and Dashte Azadegan in Khuzestan province.
The IRGC had opened flood dams built by the locals in a nearby area to prevent floodwaters from entering their farms. The IRGC, however, was seeking to prevent floodwaters from entering oil wells in this area that are controlled by its units.
Flash floods across much of Iran have killed at least 17 people and injured 74, Iranian state TV reported on Monday.
National Emergency Service chief Pirhossein Koolivand said the casualty toll in the southern city of Shiraz was 17 dead and 74 injured, while another person was killed in Sarpol-e Zahab in the western province of Kermanshah, the service said on its website.
However, local sources in Shiraz, a major city in south-central Iran say over 120 people have been killed as a result of flash floods pouring into the city. A Source from the city of Shiraz says many hospitals are filled with dead bodies and the regime is lying claiming 17 were killed.
Flash flooding in southern and parts of western Iran reached a new level on Monday while Iranian social media users harshly criticizing the authorities for their handling of the disaster.
At least 30 of Iran’s 31 provinces witnessed flood conditions as reports indicate at least 120 dead in the historic city of Shiraz alone. At the same time, the regime is trying to hide the real number of victims with the state media reporting 19 people dead.
Mostafa Pourmohammadi, former Iran’s Justice Minister in Hassan Rouhani’s cabinet, has acknowledged his involvement in the killings of dissidents during the horrendous 1988 massacre of over 30,000 political prisoners.
Pourmohammadi was the Intelligence Ministry’s representative on one of the three-member committees in charge of interrogating political prisoners prior to the 1988 executions. The committee, dubbed the “death commission,” questioned prisoners who had already been sentenced to prison about their political and religious beliefs.
An investigation into a dossier of crimes committed by the Iranian dictators has been called for, as a result of a statement issued by Amnesty International and published by the United Nations General Assembly.
According to the statement, “Between late July and September 1988, the Iranian authorities forcibly disappeared and extrajudicial executed thousands of prisoners for their political opinions and dumped their bodies in unmarked individual and mass graves… Since then, the authorities have tormented the relatives by refusing to tell them when, how and why their loved ones were killed and by keeping their remains hidden. To reinforce secrecy, they have also destroyed mass grave sites and forbidden commemorations.”
Iran is denying urgent lifesaving medical treatment to a political prisoner who was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer.
Arash Sadeghi, 38, is serving 19 years in prison for peaceful human rights work, which includes speaking to the media and Amnesty International.
He has been suffering from medical problems since he was sent to Raja’i Shahr prison in Karaj in June 2016. It is believed that they started with an untreated infection on his shoulder that developed after an operation, causing him severe pain in his arm.
Iranian authorities have extended the travel ban on the widow of an Iranian-Canadian environmentalist who died under suspicious circumstances in prison last year after being arrested on suspicion of spying, according to state-run news agency IRNA on Tuesday.
Payam Derafshan, the lawyer for Widow Maryam Mombeini, said that he had gone to a Tehran court on Sunday to seek an end to the year-long travel ban imposed on her following the death of her husband Kavous Seyed-Emami, but the court extended the ban instead.
Political prisoner Arzhang Davoudi has staged a hunger strike, protesting the cruel and inhuman conditions he has been forced to endure in solitary confinement.
This is not the first time that the prisoner has gone on a hunger strike to highlight poor prison condition.
He went on hunger strike in the quarantine section of Zahedan prison in February 2018. Davoudi had described the reason for his hunger strike as such: “I am on hunger because I have been deprived of free air and sunlight since August.”